Thursday, April 4, 2013

Andy Warhol

Lately, I have been very eager to try new artistic styles. Since I joined an online art club, powered by Elluminate, I am extremely satisifed with all that I am learning!
 
The last meeting I learned about Andy Warhol's pop art style. I find pop art very daring and exciting; I'm more into the black and white sketches and portraits, and portraying emotion without color. Using color is a very bold thing to do, and it's much harder; a lot of preparation has to go into making sure the color comes out correctly!
 
Being very curious, I decided to check out about Andy Warhol and his life.
 
Insert awkward moment story; I openly said that I learned Warhol was mentally insane, and I found that inspiring that he could find refuge in his art work. However, I had misread; he entered an institute for technology, not a mental one! The people in the meeting got a laugh out of that one.
 
Ha!! They will like to have me around, no? Yes? We'll see. ;)
 
Marilyn Monroe

Andy Warhol did a lot of pop art.  Advertisements (of, I assume, celebrities) were very prominent in the '60s, as I learned from the club leader.
I did some very extensive and professional research on Wikipedia *end sarcasm* and learned that Warhol was very sheltered as a child, due to some disability of his. He bonded with his mother and basically bonded with the celebrities he drew.
He listened to the radio, as far as I read, and must have heard quite a bit about these public icons through it. It makes you wonder if he admired them, in what ways he admired them, and why he drew them.
Maybe I'm looking into it too much, I don't know; even so, I really like Andy Warhol and learning about what a creative genius he is; he has inspired many pop artists!


I tried my own luck and submitted this picture of Taylor Swift in pop art form. (I apologize for the poor quality. I will upload a better one someday! ((I am not even a big fan of Taylor Swift, I just find her face very simple, plain, beautiful, and easy to draw!)) ) Since this is my first time of doing a pop art drawing, please ignore the fact there is no real resemblance to Taylor Swift! Definitely not one of the best things I've done, in my opinion, but it was fun to draw, for sure.

I think this drawing portrays not necessarily Taylor Swift, but a very strong and powerful woman. The way I drew her mouth (completely accidental) makes her look very fierce and strong-jawed. It's hard to tell in this picture, but that is the impression I got after I finished.
Although I wanted it to look one way, it came out another. While that could be considered a failure by some artists, I don't; I guess you could say it's a motivational tool. I tried something new, which isn't easy for some people! It came out as okay as it did, and I am pleased at my effort. :) I hope to post more art soon and to keep expanding my artistic horizons.

The next subject is expressionism, which I am very excited about!! I will post the final product when it is done/if I get it done in time. :)

God bless,
The Artistic Believer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments on my work or writings. Leave questions if you have any, and I'll be sure to keep in touch.