Friday, March 1, 2013

In the light of the moon

First of all, Anberlin is amazing; I'm listening to them right now. This is my favorite of the ones I have listened to. I like a few others, but you should really listen to Breathe:


(No, I am not breaking my Lent promise. I didn't promise giving up music! Haha, I mean, how could I?)

Anyway, I got hit with a bout of inspiration at an incredibly random time. I dropped everything I was doing and started working on it. I love it when that happens! The idea started when I listened to The Girl with the Flaxen Hair, by Claire Debussy. David Watkins (never heard of him before this, but he's really good) is playing: 


Okay, so you can hear a lot of happy/sad notes kind of intermingling with each other, right? I knew there had to be color, but I wanted it to mix with the idea of there being sadness, maybe even loss... with the idea that there is hope springing forth. And when I listened, I always imagined this song going with a ballet dance. 
The night before I had seen a full moon, with clouds rolling by, and it really added to the inspiration.

Back story over! Here it is:

Full




I looked up the form of how I wanted the girl to look on the computer, but other than that, this was pure imagination. I am really pleased with it! I wanted her to look like she was glowing, and creating something beautiful out of her dancing. That's why colors are pouring out of her arms, as she creates something beautiful in the darkness. A lot of hidden meanings in this, which is why I was so happy it came out the way it did.

Like I've said before, drawing stuff like this is the most enjoyable for me. And to me, this is art in it's purest form; self expression. To find out why someone drew something the way they did explains a lot about the drawing. A lot of things that could be mistakes may be accenting the hidden meaning, which is why I really enjoy looking at abstract art. While this is not as professional looking as my portraits, I prefer doing stuff like this.

I'll have to fix the moon looking the way it does. Since I used pastels, I use my fingers to blend the colors, so when I ran out of fingers, I went to wash them, and I guess I forgot to fix that part, haha. Ah, well.

God bless,
The Artistic Believer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments on my work or writings. Leave questions if you have any, and I'll be sure to keep in touch.