Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Failure... and Success!

I got the great idea from an art friend of mine to start practicing drawing faces from magazines. Luckily we have a drawer full of old ones, so I pulled some out and started looking for some close-up shots with some shadows so I can mess with shading.

I found a picture of Cameron Diaz- unfortunately I do not hold her as a role model in my life, nor would I recommend her to be anyone else's. But her face was angular, it was shadowed, and close up, so I gave it a go!


Yeah... my first try wasn't pretty. I didn't measure the distances between facial features, I didn't pay attention to how the eyes were shaped or the position of the mouth. I drew it on a whim, and I was pleased with it... until I held the photo next to the drawing. But I didn't want to give up, so I decided to start from scratch.

You can see part of the magazine under her face.
This is my second try! Two is the charm, my friends. I measured the distance between her eyes, the length of her nose, and the width of her mouth.I paid attention, I took my time, and this is the result! A BIG lesson to myself to take my time.

God's been teaching me patience lately, so I guess this was appropriate. I've been wanting Him to show me things that I don't think I'm ready to see yet. As long as I continue to pursue Him, in His time I know He will make a way. Who knows, He might open a door I didn't even know was there! 

Upped the contrast so you can see the shadows/shading...

Finished product!
God bless,
The Artistic Believer

2 comments:

  1. NICE job! =D Wow you got the angle of her mouth right and everything! Looks just like her. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for responding, Rachel! :D Much appreciated!

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments on my work or writings. Leave questions if you have any, and I'll be sure to keep in touch.