Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Goodbye, Summer 2012

Hello again! I've missed writing on this blog. Life has been incredibly busy. It hasn't been too hectic, so I've been really enjoying summer. :) However, I have not had enough time to write on this blog. For that I'm sorry. :(

Where to begin, where to begin! In the first week of August, I went to Student Life Camp with my church youth group for 5 days, 4 nights. It was incredible, and God really touched my heart there in a way I've never felt. He moved me towards missions, and my heart broke for the poor children that still need adopting in the organization Compassion International. I know that no matter what I do, God wants me to help people in all that I do. Of this I am sure.

I had so much fun with all of my friends as well. I can't say I fully stepped out of my comfort zone when it comes to sharing my faith, but I made it a lot further than I would've without camp.

Sleep became priority after camp, as I am recovering from a cold. It's nothing serious- it is just extremely long lasting! It's in my ear, my nose, and my throat. A lot of ear drops, tissues, and popsicles have been used. But praise God; I think I should be over it in a week!

Fear not! :) The business of life has died down, so today I was actually *gasp* bored! But the cure was found in my pastel set I had received as a birthday present.

 The finished product!! I am incredibly pleased with it, and let me tell you why; I didn't know it would turn out this way. My absolute favorite thing when I draw is when I have no idea how it's going to turn out. I look at a blank piece of paper, I pick out a color, and I just start. A green strike down the center of the page. Continuing from there, this was born. There were no high expectations to live up to; it was just a beautiful exercise of inspiration. There was no pressure; it was just me being real with myself and the paper in front of me. I know it sounds crazy, but that's how I see art! I see art as self expression to the highest degree. Remember to always be real with yourself; what do you really want to draw?

 I made the pond out of the center of the picture on purpose; I didn't want that to be the focus. I wanted the overall landscape to be the focus. I wanted the pure blue sky and shady-green, rolling hills to be the focus. The darker shades of black, grey, blue, and brown are meant to be the foundation to this picture. Just brown dirt on the bottom of this picture was very boring, so I decided to place the pond there. It is not out of place, but it is not in a focused place. It makes the art more interesting, I think.

 These are the large rocks that surround the pond.
 I drew these pebbles as kind of an after-thought. I drew them to create a frame around the pond as well as the mountains.
Here are some of the rolling hills.
And here is the completed project!
Here is a different angle/lighting
Here's a close up with flash... that's why there's a creepy shadow there. ;)

This is one of my better pieces, and it is definitely my all time favorite. It's almost like two pictures in one. The top is rolling hills, with a clear sky. The bottom half of the picture looks a little more murky and dark. The rocks are an interesting dividing line as well.

I like how the water is in a deserted-looking ground as well. The pond is small, but not too small and it is sheltered by rocks. It is a perfect place for any animal to take a drink of water. It made me think of Psalm 42, which talks about thirsting for God. Looking up the Psalm, I came across some verses applicable to my picture.
v.1 - As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, Oh God. 
v.6 - My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan, the heights of Hermon-- from Mount Mizar.
I got interested and also found Psalm 107:4-9-
4 Some wandered in desert wastelands,
    finding no way to a city where they could settle.
They were hungry and thirsty,
    and their lives ebbed away.
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them by a straight way
    to a city where they could settle.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
    and his wonderful deeds for mankind,
for he satisfies the thirsty
    and fills the hungry with good things.
It's good to ask yourself what you want to draw and why. I've been doing that a lot lately. And I've figured out something. Living in a completely imperfect world, it's incredible that in such an ugly, sin-filled place, the world can still hold so much beauty. (Can you imagine how pretty heaven is, if earth in all it's sin looks like this?!) The whole earth is crying out for God to save it, and yet it blossoms into flowers every spring, holds such sunshine in the summer, shows off golden colors in the fall, and glistens with glittery snow every winter. This warms my heart so much, and that's why I love this picture, because it shows so much of God's goodness.

The fact that God can use my hands, my fingers, to create art that showcases His glory astounds me as well. I am so blessed, and am so filled with His love whenever I see His handiwork. My personal favorite is the sky. :)

Speaking of the sky, this song has inspired me a lot lately. Not to mention it's been running through my head so much!


When I'm feeling all alone
With so far to go
The signs that know we're on this road
Are guiding me home
When the night is closing in
Is falling on my skin
Oh God, will you come close

You light, light, light up the sky
You light up the sky to show me that you are with me
And I, I, I can't deny
No I can't deny that you are right here with me
You've opened my eyes
So I can see you all around me
You light, light, light up the sky
You light up the sky to show me that you are with me

When stars are hiding in the clouds
I don't feel them shining
When I can't see beyond my doubt
The silver lining
When I've almost reached the end
Like a flood you're rushing in
Your love is rushing in (your love is rushing in)

You light, light, light up the sky
You light up the sky to show me that you are with me
And I, I, I can't deny
No I can't deny that you are right here with me
You've opened my eyes
So I can see you all around me
You light, light, light up the sky
You light up the sky to show me that you are with me

So I'll run straight to your arms
You're the bright and morning sun
To show your love there's nothing you won't do (nothing you won't do)

You light, light, light up the sky
You light up the sky to show me that you are with me
And I, I, I can't deny
No I can't deny that you are right here with me
You've opened my eyes
So I can see you all around me
You light, light, light up the sky
You light up the sky to show me that you are with me

(Oooh, oh , oh, oooh, oooh, oooh, oooh
That you are with me
Oooh, oh , oh, oooh, oooh, oooh, oooh
That you are with me
Oooh, oh , oh, oooh, oooh, oooh, oooh)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments on my work or writings. Leave questions if you have any, and I'll be sure to keep in touch.