Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sketching - Tips and more!



    I have been sketching since I began school. It has always been fun for me; to try and capture what I want to draw, whether it's people or objects. Objects have won out for a while now. (see the doll above I drew back in 2010.)
    However, I've found people are so much more rewarding to draw. People have certain features on them that makes them different from the rest, and you need to capture every line and shadow just right in order to achieve that. That's what makes it so fun! It's good to have that kind of challenge.
    What helps me is to make a practice sketch. First, I draw a sketch like I normally do. I look over my sketch and the person. Then, in teaching myself, I draw arrows to point to areas I need to pay more attention to next time on the practice sketch. I found I need to get the facial features in the middle of the face, and a smoother mouth. I refer to this drawing now for future reference. This helped for a more even face, like this one:


    Above is a picture is one of the first sketches of people I've made, back in the beginning of 2011. (Hermione Granger!!) I didn't have the tips and knowledge of art that I have now, so I will post another one to show any improvements or decrements I've made. (Stay tuned! :))
    My greatest tip for sketching any person is to take their picture, and then draw from the picture. Obviously a person isn't going to stay perfectly still. This will solve that, plus give you a better idea of what you're working with.
    I hope you enjoyed the tips I gave as well as sharing my own challenges. If you have any more questions, feel free to comment! I will post recent sketches and drawings soon.


God bless,
Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments on my work or writings. Leave questions if you have any, and I'll be sure to keep in touch.